my acne story

Today I'll be sharing with you - a personal anecdote.

It's about my acne, and how it almost took control of my life.

I was 15 when I first experienced a break out. It was nothing, compared to a breakout actually. My estimate would tell you it was just about 3-5 pimples. So it was not much of a big deal back then.

Time passed, but never did my pimples. This was when I started to take notice. I became really curious about it, and so I started experimenting on over the counter products that I saw on social media and tv advertisements. I invested my time watching DIYs on youtube, spending money and so much more to even list.

I remember trying on creams or toners and switching on to the next from the time I knew it didn't take effective on me.
I try like 3-4 products in a span of 2 months, and this continued for at least  a year.

I became frustrated. I never knew what to do anymore. I remember becoming so insecure about my face that I tried to making up excuses just for people to leave me alone. I was afraid of their appraisal. I was afraid of going out of the house fearing of being seen by the public.

But all changed for the worse, the time I discovered this product. A product named BL (which context makes me think it's a Chinese brand). I don't specifically remember who or what redirected me into using it, but I remember plain folks talking about it and praising it's "magic".

And being an enthusiast of over the counter treatment, I tried it. For 2 weeks I felt and see the improvement. I was so happy about the results thinking that it would stick by me forever. But after the first 3 weeks, it decided to go downhill,and fast.

I was even having more acne than I had before. My skin was irritated. My face was dominated by red and inflamed pimples. It was not my proudest moment, in fact it was my worst moment!

For a while I convinced myself that it would go away, and I waited. But it never did. And so I thought to myself that I couldn't handle it alone anymore.

I talked to my mom about the issue, and she said 'do you wanna go see a dermatologist?' and i couldn't agree more.

After talking to my derma I found out that the root cause of my breakout was this BL. She said it has steroids in it which wasn't safe and could even be found on high dose medicines.
I realized that if I didn't overreact in the first place, things might never got this severe.

It's been 4 months since my first *actual medication and I must say that I'm happy to have approached my mom for help and get the proper treatment that my skin needed.

It gotten much better. I still get a pimple from time to time, but I'm just happy that it isn't as bad as it used to. The main battle with my skin today is PIH or the pigmentation that acne leaves on your face.

Im well aware that it will take a while for my skin to fully recover.I'm just overall happy that I'm starting to see the light in me again.  This journey has been memorable and I'm confident enough to call it that.

Because of this experience I learned that our bodies undergo change. It's normal to have acne, and that it doesn't have to defy us as flawed, damaged or unhealthy. It builds us and helps us grow. It's not just a sign or a trademark of adolescence but also what makes of us. Everything that makes of us is beautiful and worthy of appreciation.
And I wouldn't want it in any other way 💛

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to UPCAT Takers

I Need Math, But it Doesn't Need Me

'stop the diet,you're thin already!'